Brief History of Wallace Baptist Church:

 

Around 1905, Wallace Baptist Church was established to serve God and to serve our community. When the church first opened, our forefathers named it New Smyrna Baptist Church.  The church was originally located approximately 300 yards west of the present church parsonage on Wallace Lake Road, Pace, Florida.  Our earliest records reveal that Rev. H.D. Wilson of Bagdad, Florida, was the church’s first pastor. 

 

More than 30 years later, New Smyrna Baptist Church decided to relocate to our present day location of 6601 Chumuckla Highway, Pace, Florida. The move was made possible when a family in our community, Mr. & Mrs. R. V. Caraway, donated a portion of their land to the church.  Initially, worshippers met at the nearby Wallace Schoolhouse until a new church could be built on the new property.  On May 17, 1942, thirty-two worshippers gathered for the first time in the Wallace Schoolhouse to rejoice and to praise God.  During that first Sunday worship service, 2 souls were saved and later baptized in the coastal bay waters of Floridatown in Pace, Florida.  In 1943, the Christian people of the Smyrna Baptist Church constructed a small one-room red-tile building that served as a sanctuary. 

 

Then on October 20, 1946, a landmark decision was made during a church’s business meeting to rename Smyrna Baptist Church to Wallace Baptist Church as it is known today.

 

WBC auditorium(Auditorium)

In 1963, Wallace Baptist Church expanded with the construction of a new auditorium built next to the small red-tile building. The men of the church provided a great deal of craftsmanship and labor to completely finish building the auditorium; resulting in a debt free church.  Thereafter, the original red-tile building was transformed into Sunday school rooms to better serve our community.


               


WBC Sanctuary, 1963(Sanctuary)Approximately 5 years later, the small red-tile building was dismantled to facilitate the growth of our church with the addition of a new and larger sanctuary. 







                                                                                                    

WBC 2-Story Structure(2-Story Structure)The previous auditorium was then converted into Sunday school rooms.  As our church flourished, new construction was added to include a fellowship hall, a kitchen and a 2-story structure to support Sunday school classes. 






                 

                  

WBC Fellowship Hall Playground Entrance(Larger Fellowship Hall)In 1992, a larger fellowship hall was added and a dedication ceremony held on March 29, 1992, to officially open up the new fellowship hall.








                                                                   


 

WBC Present Day(Present Day Sanctuary)

On May 29, 2005, by the grace of God, Wallace Baptist Church prospered and once more broke grounds to construct a larger sanctuary alongside the existing fellowship hall structure. In attendance were over 200 worshippers that rejoiced in the combined ground breaking ceremony and Memorial Day Service.  Upon completion of construction, a ribbon cutting ceremony was held on Easter Sunday, April 8, 2007, to dedicate our new sanctuary for the Glory of God.  The old sanctuary was then redesigned into a nursery, a library, and much needed Sunday school classrooms. 

 

Much gratitude goes to the numerous dedicated people of the past who planted and nurtured a church seed and to the people of the present who devoted so much of their time and talents to further grow the Wallace Baptist Church of today.

© 2017 Wallace Baptist Church
Connected Sound - Websites for the Barbershop Community